Long Vowel Sounds
– Listen to the following words. Which 3 words contain longer vowel sounds?
kick seat bet cart book portThe vowels in ‘seat’ /siːt/, ‘cart’ /kɑːt/ and ‘port’ /pɔːt/ are all longer than the vowels in ‘kick’ /kɪk/, ‘bet’ /bet/ and ‘book’ /bʊk/.
What are long vowel sounds?
- Every different vowel sound in English involves a different position of the mouth.
- Some vowel sounds are normally longer than others, so we define them them as LONG or SHORT.
- There are 5 LONG single (monophthong) vowel sounds in English:
/iː/ in ‘keep’
/uː/ in ‘group’
/ɜː/ in ‘first’
/ɔː/ in ‘horse’
/ɑː/ in ‘park’
- Notice they are represented by two dots /ː/ to show that they are long.
– Repeat the sounds and words:
/iː/ peak, beat, treat, deep, keen
/uː/ through, food, soon, zoo, lose
/ɜː/ bird, third, world, shirt, earth
/ɔː/ score, law, more, four, floor
/ɑː/ laugh, craft, lark, jar, Mars
– Which of the 5 long vowel sounds is used in each of these words?
A /iː/ B /ɜː/ C /ɔː/ D /ɑː/ E /ɜː/ F /uː/ G /ɔː/ H /ɑː/ I /iː/ J /uː/