WOR Spelling to Sound
Listen to these words. Is ‘wor’ pronounced the same or differently?
worst worn worryThey are all pronounced with a different vowel sound:
How do you pronounce ‘wor’?
- The most common pronunciation of ‘wor’ is /wɜ:/.
- To pronounce /wɜ:/ don’t forget to bring the tongue to a central position after sounding /w/.
- The words ‘wore’ and ‘worn’ are pronounced as /wɔ:/.
- ‘Worry’ and its derivatives are pronounced /wʌ/.
- ‘worsted’ (a weaved fabric) is pronounced with /wʊ/.
These words are always pronounced with /ɜ:/:
word, work, world, worm, worthy, worship, worse.
These words are always pronounced with /ɔ:/:
These words are always pronounced with /ʌ/:
worry, worrisome, worried.
Listen and repeat the sentences:
A. That worm’s work is the worst in the world.
B. Her wart was worn off by the ring that she wore.
C. Don’t be such a worrywart. You worry too much.