– Listen to these words pronounced very slowly:
– Can you hear a difference in the pronunciation of < l >?
– Choose whether the word is pronounced with clear /l/ or dark [ɫ]:
Answers & Audio
1. pale [ɫ]
2. parlour /l/
3. cold [ɫ]
4. collide /l/
5. clean /l/
6. uncle [ɫ]
7. soul [ɫ]
8. slow /l/
9. loop /l/
10. pool [ɫ]
AUDIO KEY: West Country (bold), Standard (italic) In the South West of England where the ‘West Country’ accent is spoken, people pronounce every written < r >, so words like SHARK, HORSE and SPIDER all contain /r/. This is also true of most American, Irish and...
- Listen to the sentence - how many < r > are pronounced?There are four eggs. 2 /r/ are pronounced: There are four eggs. /ðər ə fɔːr ɛgz/ In connected speech, a word ending < r > or < re > will join to the next word with /r/ if...
- Match the IPA transcriptions below to the countries:- Which country names contain a silent < r >? Turkey, Norway and Qatar contain silent < r > in GB English. In GB English < r >: - is pronounced before a vowel sound. - is silent before a...
[ɫ]All the people fill several halls, it’s incredible! Well, their medal’s official, so we’ll call them, shall we? Previous & Next LessonsRelated Lessons
/l/Lonely and lost, Clive left England for Italy. Please close and lock the place quickly, leave your belongings. Previous & Next Lessons← /j/ [ɫ] → Related Lessons
/j/ Yes, I usually queue but yesterday I refused. A few nuisance youths were due on Tuesday. Previous & Next Lessons Related Lessons
/r/ Rain is predicted so it’s really risky for the Red Arrows. Rightly or wrongly, rents have increased throughout Britain. Previous & Next Lessons Related Lessons
/w/ Why won’t anyone wish me well on my twentieth? Well, this quote by Wilde is quite wonderful. Previous & Next Lessons Related Lessons